Sunday, September 18, 2011

First tournament


The tournament locater on the Wizards site was a complete bust and tells me their isn’t a single FNM in the whole of Korea, but their own Planeswalker Points system shows that is not the case. It’s stupid that they removed the old version from their site as while less pretty it would have allowed me to get the details of places that were actually running tournaments.

Utilizing the wife’s local Magic knowledge and ability to speak Korean I found some info via a Daum café site.

Armed with this flyer from the shop, and a copy of the subway map I am hoping to play at the Innistrad pre release hosted by DiveDice in Seoul.

The subway map has negligible ability as a map since it shows Pyeongteak on the opposite side of Seoul than what it really is but it does serve its purpose of informing when to change lines.
Korean maps are never to scale so there is a decent chance I spend my Sunday lost aimlessly before wandering back home without playing any Magic.




If you want to compare  it to the prize structure back home sealed entry price is W32,000 (Roughly A$ 32). Its 4 rounds and prizes are as such:
A record of
     1 win  = 1 booster
     2 wins = 2 boosters
     3 wins = 4 boosters
     4 wins = 6 boosters
That’s fairly comparable to a Melo pre release in Brisbane (everyone gets 3 boosters regardless of performance) but I prefer the incentive system that Korea offers.
Draft is W16,000 (Approx A$16) and pays out 3-2-2-1-1 which is flatter but 1 extra booster than back in Brisbane

These prize structures look pretty standard as the other stores seem to use pretty much the same flyer but with their own store details attached.

This looks to be the last English card pre release for the foreseeable future so I am very keen to enjoy it. In the future I expect it to be a Korean cards only affair and that probably rules me out of playing in pre releases because I will need time to learn the cards before playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment