Monday, October 14, 2013

Podcasts - 2013

I don’t know how sustainable this is but I’m currently listening to a lot of magic podcasts, usually on my way to and from work.
I have downloaded a lot only to delete them 10 minutes in either due to poor production, bad sound quality or just random rambling and lots of dead air and ummmms. Top 8 magic was the one I was most disappointed in because the sound quality is just a huge turn off so I never get far into it.
Amongst all that chaff there is some really good stuff most of which is pretty well known.

The king of Magic podcasts is Limited Resources hosted by Marshall Sutcliffe. Magic coverage is his full time job and it shows. The production quality is fantastic and both main hosts (Marshall and Brian Wong) are entertaining. For Theros limited they did a 5 hour show which I have to admit it took me multiple settings to finish but it was worth it.

The Eh team and Heavy meta are pretty similar in that they are very long podcasts with decent production values but they go off topic a lot. That is part of the charm for me as I enjoy listening to the hosts. So there is more general entertainment than strict magic talk so they are not something I can recommend to everyone even though I love them.

Drive to work is a roughly half hour podcast by Mark Rosewater which he makes while driving to work (hence the name). It’s very similar to his Making Magic column which is one of the things that got me back into Magic back in the day as I found it really interesting and read pretty much his entire archive. He has some interesting stories and the length of his drive to work seems to match pretty well with mine. Sometimes a little dry (I am not interested in certain topics) but sometimes really interesting especially when talking about how gamers and designers think and game design.
It sounds really clear for something recorded in his car.

The deck tease was a really pleasant surprise. The way other people talk about it and the impression you get from the picture on Itunes, the name and the intro music is completely different than what I found to be the podcast to be.
In my opinion it’s easily the best interview style podcast and most interesting one. The only interview podcast that I have subscribed to.
Brainstorm Brewery is the magic podcast I get most excited about to see a new episode. It’s a magic finance podcast and at times really interesting with some great hosts. The episodes or even sections inside the podcast really vary in quality though. Sometimes there is too much rambling and lingering on boring topics.
If you have the slightest interest in Magic finance this is the go to podcast.

Spike Feed is the most recent podcast I have added to my subscription list and I am fast becoming a big fan. It’s fairly new and I have now listened to every episode. Very good chemistry between the hosts, good variety of topics (limited, constructed and finance) and excellent production values thanks to one of the hosts being a professional producer.



My Top 7
Limited resources
The Spike Feed
Brainstorm Brewery
The Eh Team
Drive to work
The Deck Tease
Heavy Meta

1 comment:

  1. I'm also a big fan of Limited Resources. Nice list, you've found some I'd never heard of before. I'll definitely be checking some of these out. If you haven't heard it yet, you might get a kick out of Magic the Amateuring. It's as informative as it is funny and includes goofy features like Flavor Text Theater.

    Dan from Suwon (I'm pretty sure we know each other)

    ReplyDelete