Thursday, February 13, 2014

Faking it

Fake magic cards have been in the news lately with Chinese forgers grabbing the headlines.
I haven't seen them in person but a Youtube clip from MTGLion of the fakes had me less than convinced. They were made by a playing card company and it seems they just used the same process to make a playing card but with a Magic image on the front and back. 
A playing card feels and looks completely different than a Magic card so the current batch of fakes don't seem like something to worry about .... just yet.

I am sure if there aren't better fakes out there they will be coming. I own a lot of the cards that were listed on the "starcityshop" but don't feel concerned about their value. Ironically I paid less for my cards (fetchlands, dark confidants and shocklands etc) than what this shop selling fakes was asking for!
I sold most of my high value cards that I wasn't interested in playing so the cards I own now will always hold a lot of sentimental value to me even if the Magic apocalypse occurs (again). 

Wizards of the Coast have tried to counter this by updating the card face to make it harder to forge Magic cards. The hologram to appear on rares and mythics gets the headlines for the most obvious deterrent. In my opinion the slimming of the borders is the best change. In my old age any increase to the size of the text box and card art are highly welcome. The full art Magic Player Rewards are my favourite promotional cards and I much prefer them over foils. This change gets us a little closer (with emphasis on the little) to regular Magic cards looking like the extended art promo cards (which are awesome).

Wizards have been a bit slack on reducing the border size for a long time because it gives them a lot of leeway when cutting the sheets. I would love for them to switch to coloured borders (blue, black, red, green etc) and use all that extra real estate inside on extending the art.

The one aspect that annoyed me about the counterfeit discussion was players talking about buying them to use as proxies. I found this a little disingenuous because if you are going to proxy why go for fakes? Go big or go home is my approach to proxies. Don't give your money to someone leeching of the game who is never going to contribute to the game.
If you can't afford the originals (nothing to be ashamed of there) then get creative and go full or alternative art.





No comments:

Post a Comment