Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Korean World Magic Cup Qualifiers 2014

Fresh from watching most of the M15 Pro Tour coverage thanks to a bout of insomnia the fire is re-stoked.




M15 is a good set and thanks to getting Cone of Flame and then Hoarding Dragon pick one pack one in the last two drafts I have a few wins under the belt and am starting to get ideas above my station.

A new set and the Pro Tour coverage coincided with Hearthstone having a buggy expansion launch which wouldn't grant me access to the new cards but I had to play against them on the ladder. That was just a rub in. 


The details for the World Magic Qualifiers have been released  with the first tournament set for August 17th. The format will be standard and you need to have picked up 200 Planeswalker points in the previous Magic Year (~July 2013 to June 2014). Despite not playing in any big tournaments or doing particularly well I finished with 232 points just from playing a little less than once a week. There will be a beautiful Saint of Geist Traft foil given to each participant.

That pretty foil isn't enough for me to justify travelling to the event though because I have little prospect of doing well. W35,000 won to play constructed feels very steep and the prize structure is usually top heavy. Only serious competitive players can justify that.
I do feel guilty calling distance a problem when all 3 of the qualifiers are in Seoul and the rest of the country is ignored.


Instead of playing at the WMCQ I have set my sights a little lower and will be playing in the upcoming game day in order to get the full art Reclamation Sage promo for my EDH deck. Having only played Standard once this year it probably won't be pretty.

I wish I had more news but I haven't learnt of nay new Magic shops opening in Korea. 

Korean World Magic Qualifiers


#1 
Sunday August 17, 2014 9:00 a.m.
Seodaemun-gu Office Auditorium (5th floor) 
Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 168-6 Yeonhui
Standard
₩ 35,000

#2 
Sunday August 31, 2014 9:00 a.m.
Boramae venues Youth Center  
Seoul Dongjak Shindaebang 2 East 395
Standard
₩ 35,000

#3 
Sunday September 14, 2014 9:00 a.m.
SETEC (Seoul Trade Exhibition Center)
Gangnam-gu, Seoul 514
Standard
₩ 35,000


YOU MUST PRE REGISTER IF YOU WANT TO PLAY. 
There is no on site registration.

No comments:

Post a Comment