Monday, September 14, 2015

Magic Monday #3










This week rather than draft Magic Origins we had a chaos draft. This was put together at great expense and over a long period of time by Frank Silva with help from Andrew Carle. The draft was free and we only paid for prizes and the store donated an FNM serum Visions for the winner as well.

Opening a pack of Time Spiral first pack gave me a massive nostalgia rush. Time Spiral is my favourite set and I have very fond memories of it. My pack one pick one was between Errant Ephemeron or Greater Gargadon. I was sitting with Dan on my right who has quite aggro leanings when the format is crazy like this so I used that as the tiebreaker to go blue. That really paid off as he did indeed go red as did the player to his right. Blue, Green and Black were open and I went with Blue Green. I would have jumped all over black if I saw any removal first pack but it seemed lacking for the entire draft.
That Ephermeron was pretty much my only turn two play but the deck could still punish slow starts and had ridiculous late game. I had never seen rush of knowledge before in my life, had to read it a couple of times before putting it in my pile. Both times I drew it I cast it to draw seven cards. I also got to do my favourite thing in the world, Spellburst with buyback to win games two and three of my first match.
While there were plenty of sets I had never seen before thanks to Frank going really deep on what packs he included I think I probably had an advantage on most of the draft. It felt great to win the draft, get some packs, have fun and claim a Serum Visions promo for my collection.

Some real world troubles had me feeling sorry for myself and another player has to give up their beloved pet. Franks hard work at putting this together made for a great distraction for both of us. I don't think I showed my appreciation enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment