Sunday, July 12, 2015

Back to the Future

I planned on skipping the Origins pre release. Nothing against the set but I am not a fan of sealed in general. I don't know hat happened but I used to enjoy the puzzle of building the best deck from a random set of packs but I guess the seeded packs just make the deck building part too obvious. Deck building doesn't seem as frantic as before and there seems less of an advantage for good players as there are much less traps for players whose new card evaluation skills aren't as polished.
Why am I paying twice as much to play a format I enjoy half as much. I will hopefully be drafting this set for two months so I should get all the cards I need in time.
Saturday night local legend Dan the Man put a message on Facebook that would change all that. Due to a lack of English kits the Sunday pre release would be draft instead of sealed. I was in.
On Saturday I heard about a standard deck that played a lot of cards I like and which I wouldn't need to acquire too many cards with only the 4 Atarkas command representing a bit of a head ache. I was starting to have visions of playing game day and trying to win a textless Languish.

Dan's info was solid and we did get to draft, which seemed really lucky as pretty much 99% of stores in the world only seemed to be offering sealed.
I didn't get anything valuable but I opened a Priest of the Blood Rite for my cube. Traded for a couple of other nice cheap things like a Thragtusk for the Cube and a 4th Splinter Twin for my Modern deck.
I enjoyed the format but I am wary of giving it two thumbs up because I also enjoyed my first Dragons of Tarkir draft. In fact only Journey into Nyx and Born of the Gods struck me as sets that I was sure didn't add much to limited after just one draft.
A good sign was that a first time drafter who went 0-3 had an interesting (mono black) deck. We showered him with prizes and he got two packs of Origins and a couple of seeded packs with promos to get him started.
Jinsung and Myself were the only two players who were at the last weeks draft so this pod had a completely different feel. The whole day was very relaxed and I was very tempted to take up the invitation to join in a second draft in Korean.
That would cut into family time though so I had to pass. It was a great day and it was nice to win a Path to Exile promo that people are so feverish about.

I acquired one of the Origins cards I needed for my standard deck which leaves my wants for that deck at 13 cards. I am hoping to borrow some of these since I only need them for the one weekend. The race for Game Day participation is on.

With building  a standard deck, polishing my cube and trying to build a Grixis deck of some sort for the Modern WMCQ I sure have plenty of Magic projects on my plate. 3 wasn't enough so I have made enquiries about a Nath of the Gilt Leaf or a Jeleva so I can start on a second EDH deck to give Progenitus a bit of a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment