Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Core Sets in Review.

Origins still has a few weeks left of drafting so it's not time to wrap it up just yet, but it is the last of the core sets and that era already feels like it's done and dusted.
So I think that serves me up enough of an invitation to bring to you the inaugural and final CORE SET AWARDS!
Get excited people.



Yeah, they really did reprint that;
The Winner - Necropotence. Yes they really did.

Most Unlikely Face of Magic;

The Winner - Hurloon Minotaur


Best open; For the card I actually got to take home and keep from the set.
The Winner - Slim pickings here, I think the most valuable was the Badlands I opened but I parted with it before the day was done. Traded it away for a Dragon Whelp.

Worst open; The card that elicits the greatest groan when you open it.

The Winner - There have been some stinkers over the years and my memory won't serve them justice. Honored Heirach seems to invoke a lot of anger from people and it's not even that bad in limited.

Most coveted reprint; For the card you were super hyped to come back.

The Winner - Shivan Dragon, they took nearly everything else out of Revised but at least left big Shivan intact for 4th edition. 

Cutest card; for the cutest card, duh.

The Winner - I am going with Forge Devil in M15. I loved that guy and his cute little come into play mini flame tongue ways.

Pretiest card; 

The Winner - Elvish Archers.

Ugliest card; 
The Winner - Starfield of Nyx from Magic Origins. Maybe it looks like something other than pastel vomit if you look at it closer. I am not prepared to do that though. I think there are at least 5 articles worth of material just looking at older Magic art. Earthbind comes to mind.

Favourite card to draft; A smile every time this non rare goes into your pile.
The Winner - I have pretty good memories of Howl of the Pack in M14. A near mono green deck throwing down 6 or 7 2/2's was a draft strategy I could manage when returning from the game and playing with Korean cards for he first time.

I can't believe you played that; For that card other people loved for reasons I will never know.

The Winner: 2 x Cruel Saddist, I went pretty deep with that draft. Too deep, a well deserved scrub out.

Most improved; For the card that didn't look like much, but got there in the end.
I am going to vote for Returned Centaur. It seems to have a lot more synergy with the cards around it in Origins than it ever did in Theros.


Don't forget to; The card that is easiest to misplay.

The Winner - Interrupts, mana sources and banding, the whole game was pretty much a mystery when I started playing. 

Most fun thing you could legally do; My vote is for Zur's Weirding, it certainly led to a different game when it was played that still felt like Magic. It was also hilarious when the person who plays Zur's Weirding finds out his opponent has a much better hand. 


Most fun thing you could illegally do; Black marker pen = no more white border.


Not as good as I remember

The Winner - Hypnotic Spectre was hugely hyped when it returned but was hardly played throughout it's time in standard. Goblin Pile Driver might be a late challenger but as it stands Hippie gets the nod.


1 comment:

  1. Hypnotic Spectre needs haste in modern formats. It's not prepared to deal with reach and thopter tokens at common.

    ReplyDelete