Sunday, August 9, 2015

No news is good news

I haven't posted in a while due to a change in work schedule not leaving me spare time in front of a desktop computer. When I sit down in my office it's a flurry of typing and printing.
The lack of writing isn't a result of a lack of Magic news, plenty of things have happened and of the top of my head all of them are positive.

Attendance and atmosphere at the Suwon shop is humming  along nicely. By the end of July I had won 3 Path to Exile Promos as the funk I was in for the last two sets has disappeared and the aggressive tempo orientation of Origins is right up my ally.

I am also turning lands sideways on more than just Sundays thanks to the release of the latest and final Duels of the Planeswalkers. The repetition and regular play even if it's only digital and with pretty precon esque decks has been god for my Magic muscle memory. I'm starting to have visions of maybe putting my toes back into the water of more competitive Magic.

Game day weekend was fairly productive as I received a Languish and 8 boosters in the first event and a Languish and Playmat in the second. I also did well enough in our regular draft to win a Serum Visions.
3 sanctioned events for me in the one weekend is massive, but not something I will get the chance to repeat any time soon.

I have a lot more to write about, but lack the time unfortunately.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I also live in Seoul and am interested in Magic. I played very very little when I was young over a decade ago but Ive forgotten about it. Where do you recommend that I go on Seoul to learn how to play and what stuff should I buy? The variety of stuff available is really vast and confusing for a noob like me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have got some good advice on the facebook group but want to reiterate that you should definitely try the Duels of the Planeswalkers PC Game.
    It's free and teaches the rules better than most players are capable of.

    Once you have outgrown that or just have the hankering to play with real cards then you have to decide if you are competitive (tournaments) or casual (EDH).
    The Korean tournament scene is very competitive and a tough place for new players.

    My favourite format is draft, which doesn't require any cards but costs more and can be a bit intimidating for new players. That said, I have tried ALL the different ways to play magic and draft is the one I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't buy anything at first until you have picked up how to play and know what you like.

    If you are going to play casual (EDH) they have Commander Precons which are playable straight out of the box for about W40,000. Or you can get the older ones (just as good) for around W20,000

    You wouldn't have to do anything to them and you play against other people and not have to spend any more money. Eventually you will want to modify them but that is a way down the road.

    So my recommendation would be to buy the cheapest commander Pre con you can find.

    ReplyDelete