Sunday, August 30, 2015

Magic Monday

I went to Magic on Sunday with just a couple of hours of sleep from the night before. It was great to see some familiar faces back from their overseas trip but I was a bit of a spaced out hippie for most of the time I was there. I didn't stay for the second event even though it was cube draft with some pretty spicy additions. I would have loved to draft a Show and Tell or Sneak Attack deck, two new archetypes added since the last time we drafted what I call the legacy cube.
To make up for my absence I chipped in some of my Chinese fakes/proxies so that next time there will be a full set of Dual Lands in the mix. 

In the draft proper I again bombed out with 1-2 record. In a 7 person pod I drafted red white as did two other people. Eun Jae to the right of me was in blue green so my choice was semi correct but black was completely opened and my first pick was a Pries of the Blood Rite. Receiving a pack with Blightcaster, Nantuko Husk and two other cards in a pick and pass pack late in pack two came just after a pack where all 5 cards were black!
I received a last pick Vampire Knight to make me dream of what might have been.
Instead, despite some highlights like Chandra’s Ignition and Embermaw Hellion I had to scrape together enough playables. I should have gone up to an 18th land because multiple times in the day I didn’t get to 5 mana with Chandra’s Ignition in hand and the opportunity cost of losing say a veterans side arm is pretty low.
Bellows Lizard actually did some work for me and I have upgraded him in my rankings from unplayable to barely playable. In one turn Bellows got in for six damage which would have been funny if my opponent wasn’t so colour screwed I had to withhold my glee out of respect.
Stephan with green red and Eun Jae with Green Blue split the draft and got the last of the awesome Serum Visions promos. Septembers promo Orator of Ojutai is a massive disappointment and I think we will be back down to one pod instead of the regular two pods we had been enjoying of late.

There were lots of cards spoiled over the weekend none of which really grabbed me. I think the new Ulamog is an upgrade over the old one for cube because it does not have the shuffle effect built in and can be reanimated.
The most controversial spoilers were he full art super premium treasures. I love full art but know I will never own these. It sucks to be reminded you are poor or when Wizards make cool things that are unattainable but they don’t affect game play. I had a similar hollow feeling when a lot of FTV products came out that looked really awesome but I had no chance of buying them as they were all limited edition and too hard to find at a reasonable price.
I didn’t participate at all during Modern Masters 2 season so have got used to this feeling of not being one of the cool kids. None of this really effects my buying habits though as it is very likely my contribution to Wizards bottom line is the purchase of one fatpack on release and a draft set each week thereafter. That's been my pattern for some time with the exception of Khan's of Tarkir where I spent a bit more.

I woke up just in time to catch the start of game 5 of the world champs. It was a fantastic game and incredible tense. Seth Manfield brought it home for team #MTGDad and his tears afterwards were very endearing. Owen Turtenwald like a lot of Channel Fireball pros isn’t always the most likeable figure but it’s impossible not to respect his play skill and the way he handled himself afterwards.
Credit also to Rich Hagon for giving the players a moment to collect themselves afterwards.

This weekend is the Modern WMCQ, the event is shrouded in mystery and I still don’t know where it is. Work commitments means I am a 0.01% chance of playing in it. Still the lack of  communication is incredibly poor form from the TO, whoever it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment