Sunday, August 23, 2015

In a slump

Interestingly Limited Resources fielded a question about mid season limited slumps. They largely attribute it to the rest of the pack catching up from those that are good at card evaluation. That fits to an extent as I do believe card evaluation (in a vacuum) is one of my talents and I am no longer going to get late pick fiery impulses and separatist voidmages or even later pick prickle boars.
I think other factors are at play too though.

The last couple of weeks and I have bombed out 1-2.
I can't remember opening anything exciting for a while and seem to have opened a lot of pain lands which have ended up in someone else's collection. That's not really a problem and just karma as I had some pretty busted cards earlier in the format, Chandra's Parents, Molten Vortex, Chandra's Ignition and Priest of the Blood Rite come to mind.

What has hurt is over valuating some cards compared to my neighbours, I seem to like Eyeblights Assassin more than most and see Leaf Gilder's and Wild Extincts as signals. I still stick to my gins that Wild Instincts later than 6th is a signal, and that misunderstanding was my neighbours fault. He was in green white (and the player to his right was also in green white) and passing 6th pick wild instincts and 8th pick Leaf Gilder doesn't make sense to me. In that draft I ended up in black green elves and the deck was solid if unspectacular. I lost in 3 in round 2 and round 3 was miserable as I would have won if I didn't allow my opponent to use rogues passage on Gaea's Revenge. I realised a turn too late that was an illegal play. Sad times and the worst way to finish a draft.
My opponent was unapologetic about it too as he was in a mood at missing out on the promo.

The latest draft I had no one to blame but myself. I correctly picked up early that black was open but couldn't figure out what other colour I should be. The correct answer was blue and I would have had an interesting blue black deck. Instead I ended up with another mid range green black deck with shadows of the past for late game in lieu of opening anything with some real punch. I can't blame my neighbours for that one, I just have a hard time picking when blue is open. Only a few cards stand out to me as signal cards and if you don't see a 4th/5th pick Voidmage or Claustrophobia I feel you need to keep an eye on the amount of blue cards relative to others in a pack. While I feel card evaluation is one of my strengths remembering to account for things like that isn't. There is just too much going on for me to handle even in a core set. The draft had 10 players in it which doesn't help but at least meant generous prize support to the tune of my 1-2 earning 2 packs.

It's really late in the draft season to still be surprised by celestial flare in not just game one but game two as well. And that was the match I won!
I really wish to just wash that funk of and hope my seat isn't meant to be black green next week as I am sick of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment