Thursday, May 14, 2015

My thoughts on Modern Masters 2

It's a shame that it's not really for me this time around. I absolutely loved Modern Masters 1 and travelled to Suwon to a shop I had never been to before to play in their Midnight release.
It was great to draft and there were lots of cards I wanted, if just for nostalgic reasons as it pulled from sets where I played a lot of Magic. The limited environment felt really powerful and innovative to me.
Since that time I have played a lot of cube and have even built my own. I am not really chasing any of the cards in Modern Masters apart from a couple remands and maybe some bounce lands. So about 7 uncommons in total and I am not that fussed either way about the bounce lands.
So the set doesn't do it for me, but it will be successful. Other players at my LGS are really excited because they don't have a big modern collection. Those without a family aren't put off by the price to draft a set that looks more fun than a regular draft.
I have been invited to draft a few different friends boxes for free (they keep the cards) and that's probably all I will do. It should be fun and works for everyone.
The big question will be the next Modern Masters (3). I think a few people are going to feel burnt this time around from expensive drafts (they are $50 in Korea!) and just getting junk. On average only every third draft will a player get a mythic, that is the potential for some real feel bads and it might be hard to get 8 players after the first couple of weeks of release. If this wasn't a limited product that could be a big problem but it feels like most of the product will be consumed in the first few weeks anyway.
Wizards will probably have to market a lot harder and do a better job on the third one. I think this set will still work out ok but they will lose a lot of the hype, myth and brand equity around the name "Modern Masters". It will no longer sell itself on name alone. The quality control issues with packaging have further damaged the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment